Re: [AMC-list] 1959 Rambler Wagon

Well, you know, "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder", as one of my brother's tee-shirts pronounce. I like the 58-59 models when compared to their contemporaries. The 63-66 models were much sleeker, and I like them better as they are just more "my cup of tea" (more like coffee...). I don't care a lot for the "groove" in the tops of the fenders on the 65-66 big cars though. The 58-59 Ambassador with continental kit is one of the classiest looking AMCs ever made IMHO. I like them better than the later big Amboats, and would love to build a 36-40" stretch limo from one -- just enough to fit a small bar and two rear facing fold down seats in front of the standard rear seat. The fold down seats would be like the side facing rear seats of a small king cab pickup, which would be a perfect donor!. The 61 Ambo front end was one year only for a reason! It was supposed to give the Ambo a European flair, but that's not what Americans wanted. Didn't sell well, that's why just one year. I don't think it's all THAT bad, but it's definitely different when compared to all other US makes. That one cost AMC a good bit, and might be one reason the 62 was based more on the Classic body, short wheelbase and all.

-------------
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:46:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Back to that wagon.  I think it's ugly.  I don't know what the AMC big car stylists were thinking from about 1958 through 1961. 1961 was the ultimate in ugliness.  It looks like someone had a bad dream about a 58 Ford and translated it into a real life object.

I've vented.  I'm through.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts