Re: [AMC-list] Mid-Engine AMX

I remember my old landlord's son having an '85ish Buick Riviera with this setup. A 455 Rocket motor was put in place of the Buick 350 and the trans had O/D to boot. The diff setup was similar to the Eagles and it bolted directly to the trans

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Mid-Engine AMX

The old model Toronado/Eldorado transaxle was a TH-400. It was basically
the standard TH-400 with a transfer case directly on the back of the
torque converter and housing with the main trans case to the right side.
A special slim differential was "behind" the transmission (actually in
the front) and the right drive shaft ran between the oil pan and bell
housing. The later model smaller V-8 front drive models used a different
transaxle, but I'm pretty sure they were still all longitudinal mount.
The other front drive Caddys used a transverse mount and the same bolt
pattern as the small GM V-6 and many four cylinders. The trans was
obviously stronger, but based on the four cylinder designs. A beefed up
Jeep 904 four cylinder trans would work with an old Caddy 4.0L/4.5L
aluminum V-8 in front of it -- stick that where a 2.8L V-6 used to