Re: [AMC-list] Mid-Engine AMX

I don't know if I'd fool with a smog-era designed Caddy motor (or really anyone's smog era designed motors for that matter, they're pretty much all dogs). A Northstar V8 would be pretty cool and I think those were mounted the right way.

Matt

On 11/23/2009 9:49 PM, Frank Swygert spouted this sage advice:
The old model Toronado/Eldorado transaxle was a TH-400. It was basically the standard TH-400 with a transfer case directly on the back of the torque converter and housing with the main trans case to the right side. A special slim differential was "behind" the transmission (actually in the front) and the right drive shaft ran between the oil pan and bell housing. The later model smaller V-8 front drive models used a different transaxle, but I'm pretty sure they were still all longitudinal mount. The other front drive Caddys used a transverse mount and the same bolt pattern as the small GM V-6 and many four cylinders. The trans was obviously stronger, but based on the four cylinder designs. A beefed up Jeep 904 four cylinder trans would work with an old Caddy 4.0L/4.5L aluminum V-8 in front of it -- stick that where a 2.8L V-6 used to reside! -------------- Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:24:13 -0800 From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

> Oldsmobile toranado transaxle mated to a V-8 works pretty good I
> understand....

Yeah, but they're boat anchors. Two boat anchors! HUGE! HEAVY! And automatic
only I think. Apparently tough though and well done.

No V8's for me, so 200hp capacity would be enough. Something furrin' might
work better, there's not much post-war driveline innovation in the U.S. up
til recently (blasphemy? give me examples besides: corvair, f85, toronado,
eagle, ... vette is recent)

Some friends & I talked about eagle front in the rear, but that has it's own
problems (eg. reversed rotation for starters).

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH