Re: [AMC-list] BBD Carb Issues

To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] BBD Carb Issues

Not sure if this mentioned yet, but part of the problem is you have all these darned 'designer blends' of gas all over the country. What might be burned in St. Louis, not same as Phoenix, not same as LA, not same as Houston, so the blends vary from area to area. Years ago MTBE was shoved in gas, but I think it is not being phased out if not already, but that stuff potent, cancer causing stuff, even would eat thru fuel lines. Some of the pumps here in Houston in late 90s had decals warning of MTBE and that it could cause 'fuel line failure'. You have 'discount gas' places also that sell low end gas, and no telling what is in it, one of them was here on Hammerly and Brittmoore before closing recently. The price was usually 20 cents lower than what places like Citgo, Valero and other chains had up. Probably for good reason, that stuff smelled like sh*t if you got downwind from your AMC exhaust. Paige's 88 Eagle seemed to not like that gas either so she quit putting gas there, as I did too.

With the ethanol blends inside gas now also, you will discover some yellowish residue on, and inside your carb. So once a month I will get out the carb cleaner and hit the carbs with this stuff to disolve it off the inside neck of the carb and car usually runs better. My AMCs are driven daily and this stuff seems to form if you drive only 100 miles or less a month (68 Rebel) or 100's of miles a month (81, 82, 88 Eagles, sometimes 72 Ambassador which just had new carb put on).

On the gas tanks themselves however, you would be surprised the stuff that can form in them, no matter how well you have taken care of car thru years. Humidity is a problem, as is sediment and 'stuff' that comes from gas pumps themselves. I make it a point to not get gas at any station where the big trucks are filling up the underground tanks after a report here in Houston showed that when the tanks are refilled, it stris up all sorts of underground stuff, and some of it gets past the station's filters (if they have any!) and goes directly into tank, and into your system. Sort of like eating a triple Whopper with triple cheese. Same effect.

My advise also to people who might contact me looking for a gas tank is usually to have their existing tank redone by Gas Tank Renu on my VENDORS list. Some tanks can't be redone but most can. The problem with buying a used gas tank is that it has had 20-40 years of chemicals stuffed down it and many times the metal is comprimised integrity so that it looks great, but could be thin metal waiting for pinhole to erupt, so back to square one. With the Gas Tank Reny place, they take the tanks apart, fix, coat and seal them inside and out and tanks is good until Y3K or 2012 which ever ends first.

Something few people ever look at is their fuel lines. These are easy to replace, and recommneded every few years, especially the one from gas tank sending unit to the metal main line, can't tell you how many times these are dry, rotted, or leaking. Good luck either way, those carb sprays may/may not fix your problem however.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com