From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 21:31:20
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] BBD Carb Issues

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 18:53, Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    The crap in the tank is from previous incarnations of fuel "additives"
> and lack of maintenance at the stations plus the damage the alcohol does to
> the rubber lines (they all need to be changed to neoprene now)

That pretty much caps it. Any AMC ought to by now have had all it's rubber
lines changed, there's NO WAY they are any good after all these years,
alcohol or not. Tanks have some rust and leaves and crap, but who knows what
has evaporated and combined in there in all these decades. Who ever paid
attention to gas tanks until recently? Unless you holed it or it rotted out
or whatever, it wasn't an issue for me until my cars were 30, 40 years old.
Never gave it a moment's thought in the 90's or even the 80's -- but then,
even my '62 Ambo was "only" 20 years old.

Between the 75 Gremlin, 72 Hornet, 70 Hornet, 63 Classic, 63 American, once
I cleaned out tanks and replaced all the hoses and put good carbs and good
filters on them, I've never had fuel problems, none, zero. (Gremlin and 72
Hornet, never cleaned the tanks.) I'm sure living in Los Angeles helps,
though you'd be surprised at how much dew there is every morning, so we get
a lot of condensation. I drive a lot of miles/year too.