Re: [AMC-list] Help! Need to ID several Manual flywheels

Re: [AMC-list] Help! Need to ID several Manual flywheels

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" []
"
" Anyway, along those lines, I have several flywheels that the cheapo
" "paint pen" I used to write the years/apps on has simply dissappeared.
" I am pretty sure the 258's are the ones with the "hub and spoke" look
" to the back of them while the V8's all have a square "balance weight"
" cast into the back of each one.
"
" I took two that I suspected to be 258's and discovered that one had to
" bolt patterns for the clutch disc.  There is an inner circle of bolts
" which are of smaller diameter than the bolts I have classicly seen
" holding on a clutch.  Is this a flywheel from a 4 cyl that can use
" either an large or smaller disc?

not unless it's an iron duke.  the amc 4 has a very little flywheel
like a gm 2.8/3.1/3.4 v6 with afaik only 1 pattern on it.  i -think-
it's 5/16" bolts on a 10 5/16" circ.  the 151 might be 153t, a common
chevy sbc/i6 size.

my 199s with the 153t flywheel had 2 patterns, that one and 3/8" bolts
on an 11 3/8" circ - std '10.5"' pattern.  the 9 1/8" pp bolted to the
smaller one, and as it was used up to the late '70s i'd guess your
164t i6 flywheels have the same 2 patterns.

196s apparently have the smaller of these and an even smaller pattern
for 8" clutches.  their flywheels otherwise look the same as '64-'71
199/232/258 ones.