Re: [AMC-list] Help! Need to ID several Manual flywheels

Re: [AMC-list] Help! Need to ID several Manual flywheels

Sixes are internally balanced so there should be any weights or lightening holes on the six cylinder parts.

Matt

On 11/5/2009 7:52 PM, Jesse spouted this sage advice:
Hey gang, I am getting ready to swap the "late model" 258 (smaller flywheel, Mitsu Starter, nice aluminum Vlv Cover) into my 82 J10. I know, I could do a 4.0 swap or a stroker, but I have too many non-running projects and need to get some stuff moving uder it's own power rather quickly! Anyway, along those lines, I have several flywheels that the cheapo "paint pen" I used to write the years/apps on has simply dissappeared. I am pretty sure the 258's are the ones with the "hub and spoke" look to the back of them while the V8's all have a square "balance weight" cast into the back of each one. I took two that I suspected to be 258's and discovered that one had to bolt patterns for the clutch disc. There is an inner circle of bolts which are of smaller diameter than the bolts I have classicly seen holding on a clutch. Is this a flywheel from a 4 cyl that can use either an large or smaller disc? Anyway, is there a source that can help me ID these flywheels AND some flexplates I have in similar fashion? I have several 401 apps mixed in there that I should probably sell if I am not going to use! Yeah, I reckon I need to invest in a good parts list. Thanks and have a great weekend,
Jesse

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com