Re: [AMC-list] Help! Need to ID several Manual flywheels

The flywheel for the AMC 4 cyl changed at least 3 times that I know of. '83.5 to mid 86 (with carb) were one design with a mini Ford type starter. TBI rigs changed the offset to allow room for the Renix CPS notches and used a solenoid style starter. That clutch is different from the carbed one (found that out the hard way). Then there is the late '90 and up rigs with yet another clutch set and the flywheel has notches for the HO MPFI. I think I saw a redux drive starter for them.
   On Grand Wagoneers, they changed the offset of the flexplate in '88 (V8 also) to run the same reduction drive starter as the 4.0L but you can't run the Ford style starter with that '88 to '91 727 bellhousing.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Help!  Need to ID several Manual flywheels

" From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" Anyway, along those lines, I have several flywheels that the cheapo
" "paint pen" I used to write the years/apps on has simply dissappeared.
" I am pretty sure the 258's are the ones with the "hub and spoke" look
" to the back of them while the V8's all have a square "balance weight"
" cast into the back of each one.
"
" I took two that I suspected to be 258's and discovered that one had to
" bolt patterns for the clutch disc.  There is an inner circle of bolts
" which are of smaller diameter than the bolts I have classicly seen
" holding on a clutch.  Is this a flywheel from a 4 cyl that can use
" either an large or smaller disc?

not unless it's an iron duke.  the amc 4 has a very little flywheel
like a gm 2.8/3.1/3.4 v6 with afaik only 1 pattern on it.  i -think-
it's 5/16" bolts on a 10 5/16" circ.  the 151 might be 153t, a common
chevy sbc/i6 size.

my 199s with the 153t flywheel had 2 patterns, that one and 3/8" bolts
on an 11 3/8" circ - std '10.5"' pattern.  the 9 1/8" pp bolted to the
smaller one, and as it was used up to the late '70s i'd guess your
164t i6 flywheels have the same 2 patterns.

196s apparently have the smaller of these and an even smaller pattern
for 8" clutches.  their flywheels otherwise look the same as '64-'71
199/232/258 ones.