Re: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color orsplatteror

Re: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color orsplatteror?

If nothing else works and it seems solid I would use a rust converter or encapsulator. Then spray a coat or two of paint. Then make sure your drain holes are open and stay open.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 12:29:43
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color or
	splatteror?

I did a little body filler today (not the bondo stuff, just a little
filler where there are some irregularities in the metal). Then I
figured I'd stick my hand down the side wells between the trunk floor
and the fenders. I'm guessing the seam sealer on the driver''s side
was in bad shape for a long time. The bottom was filled with hard
packed dirt and mud. It was wet from when I washed the trunk prior to
fiberglassing the rusted out spot. I got a lot out, but think I'll
pick up some attachments for my shop vac so I can reach all the way
down. The passenger's side seemed fine - but the driver's side was
bad.

Where I cleaned up and was able to feel the metal on the sides - it
seemed smooth and solid. I'm guessing the failure must have been
recent - but that wouldn't explain all the dirt in there. Time to
clean it out and look a little closer from underneath. Might need to
figure out how to get rust converter down in there after I get it
clean and dry.