If you're not 100% sure you got all the trunk leaks, I would not use a factory trunk mat. They're some sort of heavy rubber type of thing that does a real good job of trapping water between it and the trunk floor. Carpet is far nicer to the trunk than a rubber mat.

The heavy texture stuff on the sides of the quarter panels is a sound deadener. It is there to keep it from pinging when stuff hits the quarters. There is also seam sealer down in there to seal the quarter to the trunk drop off. Seam sealer was also used in several other places in the trunk. Pay close attention to where the wheel well, trunk floor, and drop off panel come together. The factory panel fitment is poor in that area and there is probably a very large gap (the gap on my wagon was big enough to pass a #2 pencil through and the seam sealer made a chute to direct the water exactly to where it was rusty) that may or may not be covered with seam sealer. I would assume that gap is a large part of the reason why the quarters tend to rust where they do.

Matt

On 10/26/2009 11:12 AM, wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx spouted this sage advice:
I would skip the color match paint for now. Once you are happy with the work I would use a cheaper spray can. Let it cure. The Mat will cover it. All the AMC vendors used to carry fitted mats and the price was not to bad. You can get generic mats to. I sprayed mine with speckled paint as it leaves a rough surface so things don't slide easily. I can see if there is water in the trunk. I don't like the mats except for show cars. Make sure whatever paint you use is compatible with your primer. I love appliance epoxy for this kind of stuff. It is tough stuff and easy to find. Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from U.S. Cellular

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:44:52 To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family<Amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color or splatter
	or?

Okay, I have to do some glazing putty later in the week, as it looks a
little rougher than I like. I hit it with primer as there was some
bare metal and I wasn't sure if I could get to it immediately. Next
questions, though. The trunk was originally painted body color. Along
the inner fenders there is a rough finish - I'm guessing a rust
preventative or something? There was some crumbling stuff keeping
water from going down the inner fender area on the far sides of the
trunk. Is that what seam sealer is? I'm guessing I need to replace
that. I'm also trying to determine if I want to repaint the trunk in
the original color (I had a can of spray paint made up in the original
color - haven't sprayed it yet to make sure). The stuff was expensive
and I got it for repairing scratches and a few spots on the body. I'm
guessing I'll test it in the trunk and if it matches, pick up another
can.

Finally - the trunk originally had a fiberboard or hardboard mat in
it. The mat was past saving. Is that stuff generally available at a
car parts store, or would I need to special order it? I'm not looking
for show quality - just something to put my spare tire on.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon