[AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color or splatter or?

[AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color or splatter or?

Okay, I have to do some glazing putty later in the week, as it looks a
little rougher than I like. I hit it with primer as there was some
bare metal and I wasn't sure if I could get to it immediately. Next
questions, though. The trunk was originally painted body color. Along
the inner fenders there is a rough finish - I'm guessing a rust
preventative or something? There was some crumbling stuff keeping
water from going down the inner fender area on the far sides of the
trunk. Is that what seam sealer is? I'm guessing I need to replace
that. I'm also trying to determine if I want to repaint the trunk in
the original color (I had a can of spray paint made up in the original
color - haven't sprayed it yet to make sure). The stuff was expensive
and I got it for repairing scratches and a few spots on the body. I'm
guessing I'll test it in the trunk and if it matches, pick up another
can.

Finally - the trunk originally had a fiberboard or hardboard mat in
it. The mat was past saving. Is that stuff generally available at a
car parts store, or would I need to special order it? I'm not looking
for show quality - just something to put my spare tire on.