Re: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color or splatter

Re: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk - paint it body color or splatter or?

Bruce,

That "rough stuff" on the sides of the trunk and in the drop offs is a sprayed on insulation product.  It gets brittle and tends to peel away from the metal as it ages.  I've been somewhat concerned that it might contain asbestos so I usually try to not create a lot of dust when I work around it.  The body sealer is putty that's on a lot of the welded seams. You can see in inside the rear of the car around the tail light panel and such.  It's often still flexible after all these years.  It you have access to an air compressor, put on a dust mask and blow air down into the crevises of the trunk drop-offs to clean them out.  Then if you have a mechanics mirror you can shine a bright light (I use an LED flashlight.) down in the crevise and see that you got them clean on each side.  You can spray paint or primer down in there if you see bare metal.  My DS rear quarter is rusty down in there and I've taken the easy way out an put a fiberglass patch in the
 inside and will etch the sheet metal outside and then use body filler for small tiny holes.  I hated to do it but it's easier than welding in a patch and this will never be a collector car, plus hey it's California..no road salt and it never rains here.

I need a new trunk mat too and but have not checked the vendors.  I think aftermarket mats are available.  Joe Fulton