Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 06:31, <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting.
> So, on that generation it looks possible. But, in reality you would need to
> use a good alignment, probably frame rack and a means ( I can think of
> several) to simulate cornering loads. Then you would have to move the pivot
> point and find the best placement.

I absolutely will NEVER do this!! Though I think it could be easily
calculated. THe exact body roll amount wouldn't matter, I'd most need to see
how the camber changes vs. roll over it's travel. My guess is, it doesn't go
positive, or not very much. Most 60's/70's AMerican cars go vastly positive
in corners.

Back when I was juggling suspension parts I looked at (not seriously)
adapting 10/80 series upper trunnion to the 01 car. It would not have been
hard. Notes in my Suspension page. But in fact doing so would shorten the
upper A-arm by about 2" -- which would radically increase negative camber in
turns. All it would require is shortening the upper stamped sheet metal arms
for the correct static "kingpin" angle (easy) and cutting the spring perch
cone down to the diameter for the American.

It's a fascinating front suspension design, in fact. It would be a hell of a
pretty hot rod suspension. Seriously, go look at the pics, imagine them
plated and hanging out there.

  All that for running road rallys where you are supposed to be following
> posted speeds anyway! Plus you have already found the car to handle well for
> your needs.
>
>   If it ain't broke...

EGGSZACTLY!!!! "posted speeds" my a** though :-) These aren't rallies in
that ma and pa bench seat stopwatch crowd sense. These are more euro-rally
style, crazy hard driving but with a friendly goofiness to them.