-------------
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:45:00 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

as i read it, the 3 shafts are:
7.18    '93-down v8s
7.41    4-cyls
7.85    '94-up v6, v8

i always reckoned that you'd have to use the '94-up setup for this
sort of adapter, and that would still leave only ~2/3" for plate
thickness.

Actually, with Rambler Mentality ever present, the 4cyl trans is probably
cheaper and an easier junkyard find, since "everyone" wants the V8 jobs, but
5th OD isn't good. Or 94-up, both are such that the adapter/spacer is
practical.

With 26" tires, the T96's .70 is fine, it could even be a bit steeper, so
.68 would be good. I've got a 3.77 axle. My spreadheet says that the .83 5th
would be GREAT! with the auto trans axle, what's that, 3.3?  But things can
always be "better"... I'm using what I have, I'm not chasing axles down.

Absolutely on the no-brainer to-do list is good tires. We ran Falken Azenis
tires on or 24 Hrs LeMons car and they were unbelievably good tires --
immediately and drastically so. But the tallest I *think* I can fit in this
car -- with custom 16" steel wheels -- is 2225/50-16's.

I'm wary of low profile tires. They suck on old cars (though often look
great). But I will work it backwards and figure out what works best and is
most affordable. I simply cannot afford to drop $1000 on a trans (never mind
adapters and trivia) and another $800 on tires, no way.

big problem for the t5 retainer bolts too - it has to be thick enough
to clear them.  if you use panhead bolts and cut divots clear through
the adapter to clear their heads, you're down to what for minimum?
1/4"?

how about a plate for the flywheel to move the clutch closer to the
tranny, if there's clearance for it?

The clutch and flywheel are not the problem (yet...), but sticking the input
shaft into the end of the crank.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts