Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 17:40, <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd be interested if I had anything that ancient :)

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on a group purchase, its all too obscure I
think.

Learned something new. The T-96 input shaft length quoted on the AMC
transmission page is wrong, or incomplete. I just mocked up a T-96C case,
old bearing and input shaft (that came out of the car, the one I ruined) and
bearing retainer, and the shaft length is 7.0" not 6.5". I've learned to not
believe anything I read!

7.0" from the trans case flat to the flat end of the input shaft. Yes, it
was assembled right. It might mean that the CalPonyCar adapter might not
work, or possibly, I'll have to use a 1994-up trans that has the long input
shaft. I got all the other dimensions (will add to the bellhousing page) and
call up CalPonyCar.

I now have a benchable setup for engine and bell and trans so I can check
everything in metal and no guesswork. It's the only way to do stuff with
junk this old!

You can put soup back in the bellhousing, Joe, you're off the hook.