Re: [AMC-list] Getting a title... (was SoCal TT!)

The physical inspection is the only thing "new" (from 10+ years ago). They always ran the Serial number or VIN to check for reported stolen vehicles. Most states know that GA doesn't have a title prior to 86... or rather allow selling cars prior to 86 without a title. In those you just take the GA registration bill of sale with you and explain why you don't have a title. They look it up in their handy little book (I have had to ask for a supervisor once) then issue a title after a VIN search. I've never had one want to inspect the car, not even Delaware, which is pretty strict on registering -- so much so that I ended up not transferring my cars there. I paid the SC state taxes for two years instead (since I was military I could register in my state or record). Cost me a few hundred in taxes for two years, but I was eventually going to have to register in SC anyway. All states allow out-of-state active duty military to register vehicles without paying state property or sales taxes (if any), just the registration fee. That's for cars being transferred, a car purchased in the state is still subject to sales tax, but not property taxes. Just $25-$40 a year for 24 years per vehicle instead of $300-$400 made a little difference!
----------------
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:36:47 GMT
From: "tbsilvey@xxxxxxxx" <tbsilvey@xxxxxxxx>

I'm also in Georgia and I had to go through this several months ago with my Javelin. I had to make an appointment for an officer to do an inspection (checking for tampering I suppose), run the numbers in a state and national database, then give me documentation that I took to the DMV. GA doesn't require titles on cars older than 1986. Though the Javelin is 39+, it still had to be cleared before I could register it. Newer cars have to go through a similar but different process to get a title replacement. Some one on a forum told me the process was similar in there state, but the rules vary depending on the state. Also just because it's cleared with GA, doesn't mean it's good any where else. If I tried to move or sell to another state, I'd have to go through what ever process that state requires.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts