Re: [AMC-list] Torque tube T-14?

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" Are you saying the T-96 and T-86 have the same bolt pattern to the
" bell housing? Or are you saying that the 196 and 287 have the same
" bell housing to block pattern? I suspect the former...

neither!  i should've been more specific.

the 196 and 232 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern.  the t96/t14
pattern is not the same as the t86/t15, except that jeep t14s are
completely different from car ones and have the t86/t15 pattern and
long input.  go figure.

from memory -
the t96/t14 pattern is 6.125" x 5.125", with 4.25" retainer and short
15/16" x 10spl input.  the t86/t15 is 5.75" x 6" with 4.646" retainer
and long 1 1/8" x 10spl input; the top 2 bolts of this pattern are
shared with the t89/t10 pattern, as is the retainer and input length.
'67-'74 v8 bells have both.

i do know there was a separate hd bellhousing for the 199/232 to go
with the t86 in americans, but nothing beyond its existence.  now it
sounds like it was the stock big-car 232/t86 bell.

" You know, I was looking for a V-8 drivetrain and forgot all about the
" 232 having the heavier transmission and rear axle at the time! A 65-66
" Classic setup with OD would have been perfect!! Oh well, I can't say
" that I'm unhappy with the AW-4 and manual controller... just would
" have been less work than putting the Jag rear axle in, or the Cherokee
" axle (which I found to be a bit too wide) and ladder bars I used at
" first. Can't say that I'm unhappy with the independent rear suspension
" and rear disc brakes that came with it either!! But if I'd thought
" about it at the time I'd have went with the easier solution.

hindsight is always 20-20...

" ----------
" Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 19:39:28 -0400 (EDT)
" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
" "
" " The T-86 was used behind the little 196 as the heavy duty option.
" " The 232 got the T-86, same as the 287 V-8.
"
" same bellhousing block pattern.
"
" frank, i'm thinking if you'd found an entire '64 232 stick drivetrain
" for your '63 4.0 swap, you wouldn't have had tranny problems and you
" might never have been pushed into the extensive drivetrain mods you
" ultimately did!