Re: [AMC-list] Torque tube T-14?

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" The T-86 was the HD option for the 196 powered cars. I suspect the HD
" option might have included the V-8 torque-tube and AMC 20 axle, since
" the T-86 was also used behind the 287. No hard evidence though. A
" shorter input shaft may have been needed to fit the six bell. I know
" the six bells are about 6.5" deep and the late V-8 bells are about
" 8.5" deep, but have no idea how deep a Gen-1 V-8 bell is. Or maybe AMC
" made a deeper bell for the six and used the 287 drivetrain as the HD
" option?  I'd get the input shaft length of that Ford T-86 -- that
" might be just what you need in the Classic!

i've always assumed gen1 t86 and t89 were long-input, as they were
used with gen2 v8s in '67 and i don't know of special 1-year bells.
i also have the impression that hd 232 t86 were the same as v8
trannies, but i haven't seen the mitchell interchange in a long time
so i can't say if that's where i got it.  there is a hd bell that goes
with the tranny.

" An old Tex Smith engine swap book I have states that all the Fords
" that used OD had the T-86 trans. I bet the 390s had the similar but
" stronger T-89 though!!

afaik everyone, even ford, used warner o/d only with warner trannies,
like there was some sort of contract...  except gm.

also afaik the last warner o/d was an r11 behind t89s and 390s in '71
ford pickups.  '65 olds 394s with o/d also had t89s.  289s - '67 for
example - had o/d with a t86.

" --------
" Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 14:36:06 -0700
" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
"
" I've never seen a T-86, but there's a Ford job on ePay: item 180414797099.
" Looks like a T-96 but 6-bolt cover. Says the overall length -- 34 1/2". Not
" buying it or anything, just looking.
"
"
" I'm fishing around for two transmissions, neither is immediate need:
"
" * beefier trans for a turbo nash-can motor (say 175 hp)
"
" * a RELIABLE manual trans for my torque tube six Classic wagon. T-96 is too
" tiny for that but is all that's available for the six.