Re: [AMC-list] Gonna drop the Tranny 64 Classic

None that I can think of Joe. You know how to deal with the torque-tube, right? While you have it apart, check the condition of the rear trans seal, the pad between the trans and TT, and the column shifter tightness. That might be where the "murkiness" in the trans is coming from. You'll know after you get the trans out -- the shift might be pretty good at the levers! I've had trouble with the nylon piece in the end of the trans being worn to the point it couldn't be adjusted. I made a wood piece for one that worked well. Face it with a piece of thin lexan though, and a hardwood is best to work with. I used pine plywood and it helped, but didn't last very long. That piece gets more wear than you'd think! A piece of thick PVC would be best, or hard nylon, but it's hard to find something like that about an inch thick... in small pieces.
------------
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

While my 65 American is waiting for a couple of little parts I have put the 64 Classic in the garage and I'm planning to drop the T-96 overdrive tranny out of it this weekend to see if it needs to be replaced. The clutch was messed up when I got the car and the tranny shifts very "murky" (doesn't clearly click into any one gear). Frank S. had given my a tip about the little steel ball(s) in the shifter mechanism so I'll check that/those. Long story short. I'll have the car up on high jack stands with the rear wheels still on the ground. Are there any special cautions to dropping the tranny with the intent of actually putting the car back together? I have done this to a Classic and Ambo in the junkyard but then I wasn't concerned with putting the cars back together.
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts