[AMC-list] Gonna drop the Tranny 64 Classic

[AMC-list] Gonna drop the Tranny 64 Classic

While my 65 American is waiting for a couple of little parts I have put the 64 Classic in the garage and I'm planning to drop the T-96 overdrive tranny out of it this weekend to see if it needs to be replaced.  The clutch was messed up when I got the car and the tranny shifts very "murky" (doesn't clearly click into any one gear).  Frank S. had given my a tip about the little steel ball(s) in the shifter mechanism so I'll check that/those.

Long story short.  I'll have the car up on high jack stands with the rear wheels still on the ground.  Are there any special cautions to dropping the tranny with the intent of actually putting the car back together?  I have done this to a Classic and Ambo in the junkyard but then I wasn't concerned with putting the cars back together.

Joe Fulton