--------------
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:00:34 -0700
From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I determined that the trans in the '68 Rebel is an M35 (I think?) The one from the Postal Jeep ('75 vintage) is different inside. Maybe M11? (going from casting numbers) ?? Whoever worked on the Rebel's trans last put a regular o-ring in the piston and it canted in the bore (likely from being adjusted too loose) blowing the ring out. There was a ton of aluminum sediment and clutch material in the pan, so I guess this trans is a goner. ?? Does the 290 use a different bell than the Postal 232? Converter different too? (the 6 cyl one has a long skinny pilot) I have the Postal one next to the 2wd AW4 that's going into my Spirit. Of course, the length is different because the postal one is a fixed yoke (Ujoint bolts to it) but when I get the one in the car out I'll compare it with the AW4.

?? Bottom line: Will the bell from the '68 Rebel bolt to the Postal Jeep trans? Will I need to change the torque converter too? (after flushing of course) How hard is it to find a flywheel for a 290? Would the console have to be changed to run stick or is it just a boot under the same console?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts