Re: [AMC-list] What gauge sheetmetal for the trunk and doors?

1. I cut my wrecked 63 Classic up when disposing of the stripped carcass, and measured the sheetmetal in several places. It was all 18 gauge. If it needed more strength it was doubled or bent. 2. Fiberglassing is a perfectly acceptable repair. Most body shops use it for areas that are likely to rust again. Some old timers don't like it, but that's mostly because they don't know how to use it properly or don't like the mess. Like anything else it has to be mixed properly and the surface receiving it has to be properly prepared. If not it will come loose. Clean the surface or any rust/oil/paint, rough it up a bit if necessary, then wipe with solvent as if you were going to paint it. The 'glass will stick forever then, but the rest of the car might rust away around it. Those door bottoms I'd 'glass simply because they are likely to rust again. I'm willing to bet money that the rust is from the inside out. Dirt gets into the corners and holds in moisture, can't wash it out. My car has the same spots in the front doors. I'm going to wait another year or two to get them fixed.
---------
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:52:48 -0400
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

I have a small flat section of my trunk near the drivers side that
needs repaired. I took care of a few pinholes, but since the section
needing replacement is flat - a friend recommended cutting it out and
hitting it with a MIG welder (after I drop the gas tank). So - what
gauge sheetmetal should I pick up? Does the trunk use a thicker guage
than the doors? I have two small sections on the doors that I need to
poke around to see if they are surface rust, or rust from the inside
out. If bad, I figure I'll cut and replace while I have a friend and a
welder. (Hopefully we can use the welder. It is at a new car dealers,
and we'd have to wander in on a Saturday. He works there and can use
it, but I don't want him to get in trouble. If I thought he'd get in
trouble, I'd try and rent one.)

I had decided to just 'glass it, but on talking with a friend - he
suggested doing it right. So, hopefully off to welding land.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts