Re: [AMC-list] Ebay intake/exhaust

At 09:13 PM 9/18/2009, tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 16:28, Thomas Garner <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OH and one more thing. If Ebay item:330360518719 would work in my 64 232,
> what else would I need (besides plugs, wires, cap and rotor) to make it
> work?

Points distributor... that connector is NOT stock, I don't recall any AMC
distributor having one of those two-wire hermaphrodite connectors on it.
Usually there's one wire to the coil and ground is metal to metal.

As Ken Ames pointed out, it's a 1975/77 Prestolite distributor, part of the "BID" system. The reason that you don't see the 2-flat connector very often is that there was a NHTSA recall that directed the connectors be cut off and spliced directly into the harness. That connector isn't sealed well and the contact surfaces can corrode. High currents can generally cut through the crud, but the low current of the pickup coil can't, and it would lead the system to die on the road. The running fix was to unplug and reseat the connector, once you knew where the problem was.

--Glen