Re: [AMC-list] "big nut" axle pinion seal, available on RockAuto?!

I bet "Motor City" is the name of the Taiwanese company that makes the seals for Federal-Mogul. It's common for Chinese and Taiwanese companies to make something under contract for an American company and also sell a re-boxed version as their own brand or to others under a different brand name. That's one reason most big suppliers only contract for the less popular seals and parts -- meaning most of our AMC parts that don't fit something else are going to be made overseas. There were two different seals for the big-nut axle. One has just a rubber lip on the outside. That's the 5778. I bet the one you have (14233) has the felt or leather outer dust shield in addition to a lip seal on the inside. I remember pulling one of those... but that might have been a rear trans seal. Could just be a newer part with a different numbering system.
----------
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:22:07 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

- anyone know part # for 54 hudson spicer 53
- should be National 5778
- thanks crosses to Advanced Discount #473313....
- ...which doesn't fit. [tomj: WAS THE CROSS-REF WRONG, or CORRECT CROSS-REF
AND WRONG PART?]
- pulled the old seal off axle, part number reads National 14233.
- National 14233 crosses to Motor City S-5775. (Taiwanese-made Federal Mogul
part)
- THAT FITS FINE.

But I can't find any reference to "National 14233" via google (which could
mean anything, or nothing).

And what/who the hell is "Motor City"?

--
Frank Swygert