[AMC-list] Tom's Blow By & Bruce's Valve Cover leak...

[AMC-list] Tom's Blow By & Bruce's Valve Cover leak...

Thought I would hit 2 at once...

Tom was GOOD to see you too!  Thanks for reminding me that it was your dad who got me turned on to the stick shift wagons when I bought the Eagle.

Just wondering about your blow by issue.  I have had that on my Concord wagon for years, since I got it.  I took it for granted and lived with the clean up as I could not afford rebuild AND it ran GREAT!!!

Well, recently while having my carb tweaked by local expert, Carberator Bill (who worked for AMC for 1 day in the past) noticed that the PCV line was not hooked up correctly.  As soon as he said something the light bulb went off.  It was connected to the air cleaner INSTEAD of the lower large vacuum of the carb base.  As soon as we changed it, it started sucking correctly!  Now I have no oil leaks or loss!  I learned a lot about blow by over the years from many people, never asked about the PCV line.  Hopefully it could be the same for you.

Hey Bruce,

My experience was the same and keeping the valve cover tight.  Last time I put a cork (not the rubber) gasket on it and then bought the long chrome T bolts used on V-8 covers and installed them.  That way I can tighten them as needed.  Now since the gasket has set up, I have no more leaking problems.  Maybe this will help you too.

The other thing I remember is trying to get the valve cover off the back of the head as it sits too close to the firewall and needed to be "modified" so to say.  Don't know IF there is a special way to make that step easier.

Blessings,
Richard
Richard Estermyer

God determines who walks into your life....
it's up to you to decide
     who you let walk away,
          who you let stay, and
               who you refuse to let go.