Re: [AMC-list] Fw: 66 6 cyl driveshaft removal question

Re: [AMC-list] Fw: 66 6 cyl driveshaft removal question

The rear axle needs to be lowered and moved. Don't let anyone tell you to jack or pull it back, that only worked with old Chevys with leaf springs and torque tubes.

1. Jack the car up from the rear axle using a floor jack directly from the rear so you can roll the rear axle back. Support the car in front of the wheel wells on the jack pads (LIFT is stamped in the metal).

2. Now you need to take a few items off, beginning with the tires. Disconnect the park brake line near the front (unscrew the adjusting nut), disconnect the rubber brake hose from the body, take the lower end of the shocks loose, and pull the bolt from the axle end of the panhard rod and tie the rod up out of the way. Then lower the jack and remove the rear springs. This is why the tires came off, so the jack will go down far enough to get the springs out. You might have to jack it back up and support the body a little higher.

3. Pull the four bolts out of the torque-tube to transmission flange.

4. Now you can roll the rear axle and torque tube back. If it;s been on there a long time you may have to sit under the car and push/kick with your legs. Make sure the car is supported well and front and back of at least one front wheel is blocked. I had to give mine a really good kick to move it the first time. The yoke doesn't slide on the transmission like open drives do and it can stick after 40+ years being on there. It just slips on the shaft and the trans, doesn't matter which comes off.

Leave the shaft on the rear axle and inside the torque tube, no need to mess with either. The universal joint should be inspected, but most of the 6 cyl. joints look/feel new even with over 100K miles on them. The only thing to look at is the thick rubber pad on the end of the torque tube flange. If it's badly deteriorated you might want to replace it. If it's just bad at the bottom you can twist it 180 degrees and that will help. The bottom soaks up a lot of trans fluid from the rear seal and deteriorate rapidly. If it need replacing scrape as much of the old off as you can and find a rubber mat to cut up for a seal. One of the heavy foam rubber foot mats from Lowe's (etc.) for standing on while working at equipment (anti-fatigue mat) are usually heavy enough. Might require doubling up. Use a good RTV or silicone to stick the two pieces together and to stick it to the tube flange. Any dense rubber should work. I'd also replace that rear seal while the transmission is out, but if it doesn't appear to be leaking (rubber and all is dry, not oily) then leave it alone.

Eddie Stakes wrote:
The folks below are fixin to remove the driveshaft on their 66 Classic. Way out of my league however figured many of you have done this and could help out, thanks in advance to all who might reply with tips and advise, and be sure to copy your reply directly to them also.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Evenson" <epd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: 66 6 cyl

I need to take the clutch out of a 66 Classic with a 6 cyl and need any advice on what or how to remove the drive shaft? I have not looked at it too close but it is an enclosed shaft (meaning there is a case over the outside) and I have not dealt with that kind of set up before.
Thanks,

Keith Evenson

--
Frank Swygert