Re: [AMC-list] engine replacement

Joe should be getting in the high teens/low 20s even with an auto trans. I had a 196 OHV 63 American that averaged 18-19 and would get up to 24 on the highway, and that was with an auto and 3.31 gears being driven hard. A lfathead with auto would be the worst combination, I'd think. Driven sedately it should deliver near 20 mpg, but try keeping up with modern traffic and I could see as low as 14 mpg. But I bet something is just wrong -- the engine is about worn out (low compression) or there are fuel/ignition problems. Maybe a combo of all three..
-------------
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:13:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: Joe Smith <know_ware@xxxxxxxxx>
" " I hate to admit it, but I am considering a new engine for my 63 American.
" We get about 14 miles per gallon, and it runs great, but, I have been looking
" at this engine as a replacement. http://grailengine.com/
i'm astounded you get such poor mileage - do you have an automatic
tranny?  i averaged low-mid 20s in my '66 and '68 americans with 199
and 3sp.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts