Re: [AMC-list] Chasing Those Little e's

I'm doing the same thing. Started out just installing a new stereo (which I've had in the box waiting for six months!). Then I decided I needed to move my gauges. I had a made a custom bracket to sit them on TOP of the dash. Looked okay, but a bit too hot-rod for most people. Wife didn't like it too much either. The Sun mini-tach stopped working and needed replacing. Hard to get to the wiring and such behind it on the dash, and my gauge lights had quit working (bad connection). Hard to get to that too, so I decided to move the gauges under the dash. I also had to pull the old radio face and tighten the buttons on it. I took the face off the original bad radio and screwed the push-buttons to it, makes a nice filler! The light is also in it, comes on with headlights. The clock is always falling out, it's a 64 clock, apparently slightly different than the 64 version, and it just pushes in tight... but not quite tight enough. It eventually works out with vibrations in the car. This time I got it a good bit tighter, but still can't get a nut on the studs that hold it in. If it works out again I'll screw it to the top of the ashtray bracket with a spacer .Thought about it now, but will try it one more time without. So I've spent all morning and half of yesterday chasing little things, and have a few more to run down!

Oh, I made a filler for between the grille and radiator support too. Looks kind of neat! I needed to make a new filler for around the radiator anyway, and thought I'd force some more of that air through the radiator instead of letting it go up and around.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts