Re: [AMC-list] weather in Seattle (waaay off topic but may be of interes

Re: [AMC-list] weather in Seattle (waaay off topic but may be of interest)

I went to my aunt's funeral a couple days ago. They figure the heat made her dizzy and caused her to fall, which in turn caused a stroke that finished her. (she was '91 and still living on her own, but my cousins had been trying to talk her into moving into a "home") My mom just turned 80 (right after I turned 50) and we stayed over at her place before the funeral. We arrived the night before the funeral and the temp in her place was still hovering at 90 at 11PM, so I helped her ventilate the place (re-taught her the basic physics of heat going up and being trapped against the ceiling and that running a fan in a closed room just adds heat)
   Right after the funeral (100 degrees F in Chilliwack, BC, Canada) my wife and I zipped back and picked her up an AC unit for her birthday (got the last one of 200 put out that AM at Home Depot) To say she was happy with her present would be an understatement.
   Just a little tech for some, who like me, have a house where the air is trapped at the ceiling. Get a dryer hose to the top point inside and run it to a fan at your window. That will cool your house the fastest because it will push the hottest air out first.
   Adding an insulation pad (or even a silver or blue tarp) to your roof will also help deflect the heat. (also works on shops. I plan to add sheet metal to the roof of my shop with an insulation pad in between)
   I've been watching with interest testing done by a shop owner I know in Canada. He was planning a new metal roof and was testing the common colors for temp saturation. Similar 1 foot square pieces of white, black, green, red and pale blue were checked. Blue and white were the coolest (blue by almost 10 degrees less than white!), black and red were almost the same with green about the middle temp. This was at 75 degrees. I'm waiting to hear what it was like at 100 degrees.
   I'd like to put a solar panel on the sunniest side of my shop (it was pretty warm in there today) to run an AC unit.
   My cabin has about 12" of insulation in the ceiling and I've been doing R30 in the walls. It was a nice 70 degrees in there when I left at 3PM.