Re: [AMC-list] weather in Seattle

Jim said:
>I'd like to put a solar panel on the sunniest side of my shop
>(it was pretty warm in there today) to run an AC unit.

Jim,
If you want to use solar panels to run an AC unit I'm afraid you will need
many more than one.  Plus a deep-cycle battery bank, inverter, controller
and more.  Considering most Solar panels only put out 75w or so and cost
$350-$500 each, plus all the other equipment, air conditioning is probably
the worst place to start with solar.  Typical window air conditioners use
from 500-1500 watts so you can see how quickly this could add up.

If one wants to just learn about solar by starting with a small unit you
can't find a better deal than Harbor Freight's 45 watt panel kit.  It comes
with three 15 watt panels, a controller and two 12vDC Compact Fluorescent
Lights.  Hook in a cheap inverter and a marine deep-cycle battery and you've
got a great unit for powering lighting around the shop.  I use mine for
charging batteries, my tractor, motorcycle and running 198 LED light strips.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90599
Right now, on-line they are $219.99 but they are in the current catalog for
$199.

Sheldon