From: "Sandwich Maker" <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:22:57 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] steering column and box

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" besides bolt pattern and ratio, you have to worry about overall travel. You
" don't want your turning radius doubled! Three turns of the steering wheel
" could mean 45 degrees of pitman arm movement or 60.

this is a good point!  amc - and more recently, jeep - typically had
much wider stops on their steering gear than most others, even gm
cars with essentially the same gear.

sometimes a gear from a performance optioned car will have narrower
stops, to keep wide tires from hitting fenders or suspension.

" Cars with short steering arms will go lock-to-lock with fewer pitman arm
" degrees of motion. Cars with long arms will take less effort but more
" travel.

one of the special bits on the original shelby mustangs was a longer
pitman arm to speed steering up.  it wasn't practical to shorten the
arms on the spindles as ford forged them as a single unit.  we
however...