Re: [AMC-list] Jeep Q (mainly for Andrew and Jim)

Re: [AMC-list] Jeep Q (mainly for Andrew and Jim)

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" One of my Jeep J-10s has a T-176 four speed (1983 model), the other has
" a three speed (1975 -- I suppose a T-15A). Will one of the Ford
" three-speed +OD (fourth gear is OD) transmissions bolt to either bell
" housing? What about a Ford five speed (or some other model)? I was
" looking at tires and gear ratios, and I realized I might be better off
" using the lower gearset I have (3.54) and using an OD trans with a
" 28-29" tire instead of using a large diameter tire to keep highway rpm
" reasonable (no more than 2500 @ 70 mph is the goal), yet still have good
" pulling power at low speeds. I know the 3+OD has a big jump between 3rd
" and OD (dad had one years ago), but OD would only be used for interstate
" driving without a load anyway. I won't do much long distance driving
" with the truck, but would like to be able to nonetheless.

the t176 is a tremec-made ford toploader.  there are several versions
of 3+o/d toploaders, some used in pickups, dunno if with 4wd...  but
afaik advance adapters can help you there.  they have 1st in the low
3s, o/d not as high as the 5.0 t5's or even the warner r10/r11.

btw, 3rd is actually the o/d; linkage is jiggered to swap 3rd and 4th.

the t15 has a warner bolt pattern, but a '75 -might- have a t150,
which is a 3sp toploader.

both the t150 and the t17x have the big ford rectangle bolt pattern
and retainer, but the t17x has a gm spline and pilot.

you'll need a clutch disk and pilot bearing for a t150.

tremec has several aftermkt 5sp based on the toploader, good for up to
600 ft-lb.  they've changed names a time or two; dunno if they have
4wd versions.

afaik all the ford truck 5sp have other bolt patterns or integral
bells.