From: "tom jennings" <tomj@xxxxxxx>
To: "Rambler AMC, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 1:42:41 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Exhaust pipe gasket help needed

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 05:53, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The donuts I remember were beveled on both ends, effectively taking the
> place of the ball socket end. They were made to fit two inwardly beveled
> ends together. Seems like it also had some metal in it. Anyway, the big
> thick donuts are pretty darn hard. Unless you have a lot of engine or
> exhaust system movement (such as a broke motor mount or hangers) it won't
> deteriorate. You may have to look through several donuts to find one beveled
> on both sides though, I don't recall the application. A quick TSM check
> indicates that the 67 AMCs may use that type, pic isn't all that clear, but
> have a look Tom, I think you have a 67 TSM.

The flange will still be a problem with the right donut. The flange needs to
rest on the "double flare" of the pipe; with a regular muffler shop flare
and a good donut I would worry that the flange will sit flat on the manifold
flat part and not touch the flare of the pipe. Eg. it would not clamp the
pipe to the manifold.

Solution! Put the flange on BACKWARDS! It's stamped with a shoulder, cup
shaped, normally the flat part of the flange goes towards the manifold. Flip
it, put the "inside" of the flange towards the manifold. Now, the ridge,
which is closer in diameter to the pipe, will contact the flare.

You'll need longer studs, the old ones will be too short. Manifold will
possibly have to come off to get the old studs out; on one of mine, I had to
weld a nut on THREE TIMES to get it out with Kroil. I drilled one and
retapped. Stainless steel or brass studs are best.

Refer to first two pics; imagine that thing upside down.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Nash-195.6OHV-engine/Exhaust-Manifold/

* find a donut
* use a muffler shop flare, 2.0 - 2.25 pipe
* flange on backwards
* longer studs

--
All of your arguments are invalid.