Re: [AMC-list] Exhaust pipe gasket help needed

The donuts I remember were beveled on both ends, effectively taking the place of the ball socket end. They were made to fit two inwardly beveled ends together. Seems like it also had some metal in it. Anyway, the big thick donuts are pretty darn hard. Unless you have a lot of engine or exhaust system movement (such as a broke motor mount or hangers) it won't deteriorate. You may have to look through several donuts to find one beveled on both sides though, I don't recall the application. A quick TSM check indicates that the 67 AMCs may use that type, pic isn't all that clear, but have a look Tom, I think you have a 67 TSM... ---------- Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:07:13 -0700 From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 13:53, <mask1966@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, that's what I need, a set of eyes on what't needed before I rip it
> apart.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Nash-195.6OHV-engine/Exhaust-Manifold/

Invoice is in the mail.

Seriously, I saved one good exhaust pipe end just for this reason, and I
hate measuring things twice. Besides, with my documentation on my website, I
can plot and plan when I'm at work, and do research and order stuff without
getting grubby.

Mark's idea might work, but my fear is that if/when the exhaust pipe moves
around, it will grind up the asbestos (or whatever it is) flange donut
gaskets.

I think the perfect thing would be a brass donut, circular cross section of
about 3/8 - 1/2". Then a regular flare would have a nice face to meet.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts