[AMC-list] towing capacities

i almost have casper ready for the motor/trans to go back in. then ill be able
to drive again. got to work on the hitch for it. wondering if i should use the
one thats on the 62 4door parts car i have. regardless, i have to strengthen
the rear frame rails. they are rusted clear thru where the bumper brackets
mount. or should i just modify this other frame mounted class III hitch i
have to take a 2" reciever. it would have to be widend about 18" to fit onto
the rambler frame. its currently on my 71 ford f100.
this trailer weighs between 1200-1500 lbs. depending on options it has. i have
yet to weigh it. i dont THINK i will have a problem towing it, but does anyone
know how much weight a 62 classic with 196 t96/od can tow? what about how much
tongue weight it can handle with the 2 different hitches i am planning to use.
i know it will be out of o/d going up hills, but i dont think it should be to
bad on most in 3rd direct. what about 2nd od if it was needed? i dont think
the 196 puts out enough torque to blow out that od does it? how much
different is 2nd od vs. 3rd direct?
dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules