Re: [AMC-list] No more math before starting the car!

Re: [AMC-list] No more math before starting the car!

Dash illumination (including the speedometer) goes through the dash dimmer rheostat on the headlight switch. I have replaced a headlight switch due to the rheostat being defective. I don't remember whether it was a worn wiper or a broken resistance wire. Either will cause the dash illumination to fail.

Here's a rough guide to how the circuit runs:

Battery+ >------ Red ------< <----Fuse block (dome fuse)----> >------ Red/trace ------< <--B2--Headlamp switch--I--> (continues below)

>----- Orange -----< <----Instrument cluster----> >----Ground through mounting screws to body

I'm *fairly* certain that the dash illumination goes through the dome fuse, but not positive. It makes sense, because the headlamps run through a separate circuit on the headlamp switch that has a 20A circuit breaker.

There's a separate orange wire under the dash that connects to the radio (if equipped) so that the radio dial will dim with the instrument cluster. That might be a convenient spot to do a voltage test. If you don't get 12v there with the headlights on and the dimmer knob fully CCW, there is a problem in the headlamp switch (or the fuse, which you already know is good because the dome light works). This is a pretty common switch; it fits basically all AMC 1963-1981 and a ton of Mopar applications. AutoZone sells it as Duralast SW151 for $13.99.

Note that a bad ground will also cause the dash illumination to fail.

--Glen