From: "Frank Swygert" <farna@xxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 9:47:56 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Quad 4 in 58-60 Rambler

You just scratched the surface, but come to a great point -- you need to research a bit so you know which one to get. In general, the later ones have all the quirks and bugs worked out. Rather than a Quad-4 you really want a 1996-2001 "Twin-Cam". Same engine, new name to mark all the improvements. Any of those should be good to go. The rodder community calls them all Quad-4, thus a bit of confusion. I'm pretty sure the one the guy on hotrodders.com is building is a 96-97 model, but I'll ask.

The Ecotec appears to be based on the Q4 design, though of course thoroughly modernized.

--------
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 23:52:14 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

In the spare time I don't have, I spent a couple hours in the last week
hunting info on the Quad 4 motor... OK it's only reading, but anecdotes from
rebuilders, hot rodders, etc...people in a position to actually know, not
blind fans nor haters...

It's a mess of a motor. It sure is pretty though! And makes a lot of power,
and ... but there's like 6 blocks, 4 cranks, 3 rods, not just because of the
two or three different displacements, but because of design flaws, head
cranks, weird gasket problems, ...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"