Re: [AMC-list] Quad 4 in 58-60 Rambler

In the spare time I don't have, I spent a couple hours in the last week
hunting info on the Quad 4 motor... OK it's only reading, but anecdotes from
rebuilders, hot rodders, etc...people in a position to actually know, not
blind fans nor haters...

It's a mess of a motor. It sure is pretty though! And makes a lot of power,
and ... but there's like 6 blocks, 4 cranks, 3 rods, not just because of the
two or three different displacements, but because of design flaws, head
cranks, weird gasket problems, ...

Originally, GM didn't "believe it needed a balance shaft" -- ignoring 20
years of successful industry knowledge -- then added one years later.

No way I'd touch that thing! I'm sure you can make them work, but its' way
too fussy for me. I know highly efficient alloy motors with 1 hp/cuin up and
much hairier than our cast iron clunkies, but man, I have to appreciate the
advantages of over designed, over built, under rated old motors.

I wouldn't mind the complexity, or the rapid changes and one-year parts, but
the fussyness of gaskets and assembly and cracking and all that crap, forget
it! Too bad, it could have been such a nice thing.

I guess we can say... "typical GM". Oh well.