[AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60...also look at ball; joints; tie rod

[AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60...also look at ball; joints; tie rod ends;

I have had the entire front end done over in the last month including upper & lower ball joints and new shocks all around. It is tight. Brand new tires on 69 Javelin rims. Based on previous replies I received a couple of weeks ago I thought I should try another set of rims before looking at drive shaft, rear end, etc or anything else. The shaking starts at 60 mph. The whole car, not just the steering wheel or shifter. So I am trying to see what other car I could borrow a set of wheels from that will go on the 71 Gremlin.

Thanks for the ideas.

From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60...also look at ball
joints, tie rod ends, etc.
To: Rambler Nash Jeep and familyAMC <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Put someone behind the wheel and open the hood. Point the wheels straight ahead and get under the car, looking at the front end. No need to raise the car. Have the person move the wheel back and forth while watching the front end. Start at the brake backing plates and moving into the center if there is something noticeable so will see it.
I have spotted loose boxes, rod ends, bushings, etc this way. Now it doesn't replace getting the car on a rack and giving it the ol "rub and tug" but anyone can do this, it is quick and easy, and you will spot a lot of probs safely and comfortably.....Russ

Ted Dooling
Boston Computer Scanning
274 Main St
Reading, MA 01867