From: "tom jennings" <tomj@xxxxxxx>
To: "Rambler AMC, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:28:35 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Slight vibration in steering wheel at 55 or so ('65 Rambler American)

Side to side play in these things is often due to the steering box. Both of
my old'uns have worn boxes. Stable, but a bit of wander. I've been meaning
to do up the Classic box, I have a spare (the original).

If it's bad enough, you can simply squat down, grab the top of the tire and
SHAKE THE CRAP OUT OF IT. Shouldn't have ANY noticable slop.

Also, jack up a wheel enough to get a 4" length of 2x4 under it. Lift up on
the 2x4 (far end on the ground) and see if you can "rattle" the suspension
that side. With car weight on it it's harder to notice. Do the same side to
side, though that's less conclusive since the tie rods will move the other
tire etc.

The 2x4 trick is pretty good. Spend a few minutes getting a feel for it, and
you can often figure out where the where is, lower ball joint, etc.

Drop the car on a jack stand with a wheel dangling, get your kid to do the
lifting (or put a rock under it and press down with his foot) and crawl
under the car, look to see what's moving, or put your hand across a part
(trunnion, etc) and see if you can feel part A moving against part B.

Almost certainly, if one side is bad, no point in checking the other, it's
bad too. If one is good, well, check the other :-)

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.