Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60 mph

On mine the Ujoints were sloppy (do the cheap stuff first!) and the dif yoke was worn (I ended up putting a dime in the end cap of the off side and it spun level after that. Wheel bearing going bad feels like brakes dragging too.
   My Spirit has a "wobble" that only happens after traveling at 55+ for awhile. I'm sure it's the lockup converter going bad, but it feels like the diff. (I'm going to change my diff tomorrow anyways if the weather co-operates to confirm this diagnosis. I'll be lifting the car to SOA level anyways with the Eagle axle)

From: Joe Fulton
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60 mph
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family"

I haven't followed the whole thread, but I mostly cured a driveline vibration on my Gremlin which occured at 60 mph by having my driveshaft professionally balanced and the shop replaced both u-joints at the same time.   Also, you can check runout on your wheels by placing a fixed object like a concrete block next to each wheel with a pointing device (stick, rod, or micrometer if you want to get more precise) and rotating each wheel noting how the distance between the pointer and the wheel changes (or the micrometer reading changes) as the wheel is rotated.

One other source of vibration might also be an out of balance accessory (or pulley) on the engine.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA