Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60 mph

Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60 mph

I haven't followed the whole thread, but I mostly cured a driveline vibration on my Gremlin which occured at 60 mph by having my driveshaft professionally balanced and the shop replaced both u-joints at the same time.   Also, you can check runout on your wheels by placing a fixed object like a concrete block next to each wheel with a pointing device (stick, rod, or micrometer if you want to get more precise) and rotating each wheel noting how the distance between the pointer and the wheel changes (or the micrometer reading changes) as the wheel is rotated.

One other source of vibration might also be an out of balance accessory (or pulley) on the engine.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA