[AMC-list] Pacer question

I have a 304 auto Pacer that was running really nice, then it started to act as if it out of gas, surging and bucking. Seeing as how it was on "E" I decided to get gas. I parked it for an hour, then when I fired it up it ran horrible and I got some bad lifter chatter. Just running it from the front of the house to the garage it got increasingly worse. Now it won't start at all, just sputters and coughs.
I will be tearing into it this weekend (75 to 80 degrees forecast and a fat wallet this weekend and I have to spend it working on the car. Oh well).
I'm thinking the gear on the end of the dist has sheared. Either way its gotta be on that end somewhere. Any ideas......Russ