[AMC-list] Help, Squeaking, Graunching 258!

[AMC-list] Help, Squeaking, Graunching 258!

So about 3 years ago, I bought a running, driving Eagle Kammback 258/Auto.  It had like 60,000 miles but had been mostly sitting for several years after an elderly ladies death.. family estate, but nobody wanted it kind of thing.

Th only issue with it was a leaking rear main seal and had some squeaks in the front suspension.  Then I purchased a really nice set of Wrangler wheels for it with some 205 tires, but one side was out of alignment and rubbed badly, so I didn't drive it much except to move around the yard... drove to a car wash with it a few miles.

It ran well, no ticking or squeaking.  Then , one day when I went to start it the starter was really dragging... I thought.. ba starter or relay didn't mess with it.  Weeks turned into months, then more than a year.  I finally yanked the starter and it checked OK.  Solenoid was OK also.

I hooked everything back up and found that it was dragging even worse, but now, there is a LOUD, Sueaking/graunching noise coming right from the heart of the engine.  I unhooked each fan driven accessory one by one to eliminate the possibility of it being something up front.  Turns out the Water Pump is bad, but not relevant.

This noise literally sounds like a loudly squeaking, heavy, door that happens once per rotation.  My question is, how do I go from a smoothly running engine to a squeaking abberation just from the car sitting.

My thoughts were that, the rear main was leaking due to movement of a worn out thrust bearing, which has now grabbed onto the crank and i have a spun bearing... I am hoping maybe one of you has a kinder, gentler, less time consuming explanation!

Looking forward to the 10 minute fix!  (yeah... but not holding my breath!)

Jesse