Re: [AMC-list] Car is running, turn key off, take out of ignition - stil

Re: [AMC-list] Car is running, turn key off, take out of ignition - still running

I was thinking the same thing -- back-feeding from the generator (or alternator if it's been changed). Find a wire from the switch and run it from there, forget the coil wire! Obviously the wiring has been... "tinkered with"... over time, probably by several previous owners. You could come right off the switch to the Pertronix if you wanted, then you'd know for sure!
-------
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 14:22:30 -0700
From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

You are using a wire from the alternator, not the right switched ignition
wire. Once the car is running, the alternator puts out 12V. Hence, once it's
started, the rotating alternator makes the voltage to run the ignition.

Why it starts I dunno -- switched feed to the alternator, or simply, the car
starts easily, and the low voltage output by the alt while cranking is
enough to start.

Find the right wire, wire it right, and it will be fine.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts