Re: [AMC-list] The big tow of shame

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 14:43, Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Well, I put a voltage tester on the post that leads from the coil to
> the distributor and had voltage.

Did you use a lamp type tester, or a volt meter?

Tom - you mentioned taking a plug wire and seeing if there was spark.
> Is that the place to start? Or how do I make sure I'm getting juice to
> the distributor? I'd like to rule out the lines between the coil and
> the distributor first, then maybe the rotor (that would effect every
> cylinder).

If you really wanna get rigorous -- put a voltmeter -- not a test light --
on coil "+" then ground coil "-" with a piece of wire. The volt meter should
read 12V (plus or minus 1V).

If that's OK, pull the coil wire, hold it 1/16" from the block or fender,
intermittently ground coil "-". It oughta spark.

If you don't have a volt meter, you can do a pretty good test with just a
length of wire --

* Pull coil wire off distributor.
* Hold it 1/16" from block, etc.
* Ignition on.