Re: [AMC-list] Hornet Sportabout and the Duraspark upgrade - clip-on coi

Re: [AMC-list] Hornet Sportabout and the Duraspark upgrade - clip-on coil wiring a problem for anyone?

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 03:34, Jerry Casper <gremlingts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  wiring into them. When I pressed hard enough, I got a sort of positive
> click on both, and when I restarted the Hornet, it ran smooth and never shut
> off again by itself, even when I was wiggling and jiggling wires again. So
> I'm thinking it may be those clip-on boots on the coil that caused all my
> problems last week.

Good detective work! Glad you found it! That kinda stuff can be a real pain.

Personally and professionally, critical electrical connections I think
should be crimped AND soldered. A good crimp with the right ratchet crimper
tool is fine by itself, but I always solder -- absolutely gas-tight.

I go overboard -- but never ever have problems, period. Wirebrush the coil
terminals, clean with a squirt of brake or carb cleaner. Strip, tin, crimp,
then solder. Washer(s), lockwasher, nut. Never fails! Takes time, but you
only have to do it exactly once.

The snap-on connectors are probably nicely convenient for the factory.