[AMC-list] A little more progress

I finally got some paint on the rear quarters and tail panel of the American today.  I had replaced about a third of the trunk floor and added a Mustang gas tank underneath.  There were tiny rust holes where the trunk floor met the tail panel.  It is hidden by the rear bumper but I felt I had to fill them.  I welded a backer strip of 20 gauge metal inside the trunk just above that seam and the filled the holes with Lab Metal.  It hardens and becomes just like metal. I covered the area with bondo and then...I became my own worst enemy.

While trying to remove all the paint down to bare metal in that area I became a little too agressive and ran into some old bondo around both tail lights.  Like a lot of Rambler Americans, this car has be hit on both rear corners.  There is one cheap repaint on it already and the body shop slathered bondo around both tail lights.  So over the last few weeks I ground all the old Bondo out and did a little metal work and then used modern fillers to try and smooth out the damage again.  Finally I was ready to paint this morning, so I took my time and masked off the rear of the car.  I had chosen a late 70s AMC dark blue metallic to match the previous Earl Shieb quality dark blue metallic. The paint is Dupont Centauri and it matches pretty well.

This was my first time spraying metallic and I learned that each coat can really make a difference in the color.  It's no show car.  That's for sure.

I'll start putting things back together this week.  I'll have photobucket pictures soon.

Joe Fulton
Salinas,CA