[AMC-list] So, it makes awesome 195.6OHV noises! And hasn't exploded and

[AMC-list] So, it makes awesome 195.6OHV noises! And hasn't exploded and stuff!!

Sewed the Rambler back up and went to drain the gas tank. Not an ounce
of gas in it! So I was sucking up some bottom of the fuel tank, been
sitting around for a few months stuff into the carb. Yuck. Picked up
four gallons of 93 Octane Shell. Figured I'd use good stuff for a
while.

I changed the coolant and the upper radiator hose last week. I rebuilt
the carb last night after my wife turned on a movie (with only a
little explaining that funny smell). Put things together today and
changed the oil. Noticed it was very thin. Earlier I was wondering if
I had got gas in it. Well. I stuck my hand in the drain pan, and it
came back greenish. Coolant. I maybe should put on a glove first. Had
a LOT of honey-do's this weekend, so I snuck out every now and then to
fiddle a little bit.

My oldest son and I tightened up the gas line that was leaking so
much. It isn't leaking. I just hadn't tightened it up properly. The
car started right up. Blew a little blue smoke, but I had put a couple
squirts of oil in each cylinder so I wouldn't start it dry. It's a
little noisy. I'm hoping adjusting the valves will take care of that.
And it no longer smokes.

So - order of business. Warm it up and retorque the head. Ask a friend
to come over and help adjust the valves. Get the gas gauge working! I
don't want to be at the bottom of the fuel tank again.

Why was it so important to get it running today? Our youngest son does
an online school, and once a year goes for standardized testing called
CRCTs like every other kid in the US. Last year we got the Rambler
running and used it every day to bring him in for testing in April. I
wanted it to be at least back to where I could drive him in for
testing in the Rambler (we'll probably use a different car until I
take care of the last few items - but at least we COULD use the
Rambler if we wanted to!).