[AMC-list] OK, I now admit it, the T-96 sucks

[AMC-list] OK, I now admit it, the T-96 sucks

OK, you can't say I didn't give it a chance. It's still working fine, or, as
fine as a T-96 can. It is by far the slowest thing in the car. It's really
holding it back. It's just so damn slow to shift! There's nothing wrong with
the synchros or the oil I used, as far as I know. I checked all the
clearances and it was all new parts. It just shifts slooooow! If you move
too fast it get chunky. (The spec for maximum synchro stack clearance is
.094" -- a tenth-inch oil film is all that drags the gear up to shaft
speed.)

And a four speed would really help get some work out of this motor. I'm
having a blast driving this car, still, and it's very nimble in traffic,
something that comes as a surprise. A 100% perfect suspension, good fat
tires and oversized brakes makes all the difference.

So back I go to finding a cheap T-4, but I wish there was a side-shifted
trans that would fit. And thoguh I hate to give up Twin Stick, I'll probably
do it (and save all the parts!).

I might make one last-ditch attempt to find nirvana -- T-14 with overdrive.

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.